Agriculture and Soils Division formerly known as “Soils Division”, the one of the oldest divisions of the institute was first to start Post Graduate Diploma course along with Forestry and Geosciences Divisions in 1966. Till 1975, the division was imparting training in Aerial Remote Sensing applications in Soil and Soil Conservation Surveys. With the introduction of Satellite Remote Sensing Applications in the course curriculum in 1980, Crop Inventory topic as additional specialization was introduced and the division was renamed as “Agriculture and Soils Division”.
- M.Tech in Remote Sensing and GIS with Specialization.
- Post-Graduate Diploma Course in Remote Sensing and GIS with Specialization.
- NNRMS-ISRO Sponsored Certificate Course for University Faculty.
Agricultures and Soils Departments conducts user defined special and customized courses of different durations. The main focus of these courses are to met the specific requirements of user segments for applications for RS & GIS in and agriculture and related areas such as:
- Geospatial Technologies for Watershed Management attended by Govt. officials from Watershed Management Directorate, Uttarakhand.
- Geospatial Technologies for Watershed Management attended by Govt. officials from CSWCRTI, Dehradun.
- Monitoring of IWMP watersheds using Geospatial data and Bhuvan Web Services attended by Govt. officials.
- RS and GIS for Mapping of Salt-affected Soil attended by Govt. officials from Remote Sensing Applications Centre, Lucknow, U.P.
- Geospatial Technologies in Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics attended by Govt. officials from National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics (NIVEDI), Bengaluru.
- Satellite observations and products for Agro-meteorological applications attend by Govt. officials.
- Geospatial Technologies in Watershed Management attended by Govt. officials from Watershed Management Directorate, Uttarakhand.
- Remote sensing and GIS for crop growth monitoring & yield prediction attended by Researchers and Scientists involved in FASAL/GKMS programme of IMD (IMD sponsored).
- CartoDEM application- landform analysis
- Digital soil mapping
- Hyperspectral RS data in quantifying severity of salt-affected soils
- Simulating climate change impact on crop productivity - wheat
- Soil erosion modeling & its impact on nutrient dynamics at watershed scale
- Understanding soil erosion process in hilly watershed
- SWAT-VSA model : spatially distributed surface runoff
- Climate change impact on soil quality : CENTURY model
- Crop biophysical parameters retrieval of paddy
- Crop discrimination using hybrid polarimetric RISAT-1 SAR DATA
- Soil moisture retrieval under wheat crop
- Discrimination of basmati & non-basmati paddy grown areas
- Geospatial crop water accounting & WRSI monitoring
- Spatial pattern of drought in Bundelkhand
- Climate change and agriculture : indicators and impact studies
- Modeling of primary productivity of cropland ecosystem
- Climate change impact on productivity of food grain crops (Himachal Pradesh)
- Climatic LGP analysis for five decades from 1961 to 2013
- Field-scale yield estimation : statistical modeling
- Wheat crop yield variability & validation
- National Soil Carbon Stock Assessment (NCS-SCP Phase – I) (ISRO-IGBP)
- Soil Carbon Dynamics (SCD) : Soil Carbon Project (NCP- SCP ) Phase II (Soil Carbon Dynamic Studies in the north hilly and Mountainous region (ISRO-IGBP)
- Soil-Vegetation- Carbon Flux Phase II (Developing parameterization and RS based scaling techniques for ecosystem respiration using satellite data over forest sites) (EOAM)
- Mountain Ecosystem Processes and Services : Sustainable Mountain Agriculture (Assessing Soil Erosion and Nutrient Loss and its impact on Soil Quality and Crop Productivity) (EOAM)
- Mountain Ecosystem Processes and Services : Sustainable Mountain Agriculture (Climate Change impact on Productivity of food grains and plantation crops) (EOAM)
- Monitoring of crop growth and soil moisture using RISAT-1 hybrid polarimetric SAR data (EOAM)
- Discrimination of basmati paddy grown areas with non-basmati paddy grown areas using temporal RADARSAT-2 SAR data (EOAM)
- Crop and Soil Studies using Space Borne Hyperspectral and microwave data (Crop discrimination and soil properties characterization using microwave RS data) (TDP)
- Developing a Framework For Hydro-pedological Studies Using GPR And Remote Sensing Data (TDP)
- Radarsat-2 A.O. (Canadian Space Agency – Announcement of Opportunity) on Soil moisture, roughness and vegetation parameter retrieval using SAR polarimetry.
- SMOS Cal/Val A.O. (European Space Agency – Announcement of Opportunity) on Cal/Val of SMOS derived soil moisture.
- Calibration and Validation of RISAT-1 SAR sensor and RISAT-1 derived soil moisture (Collaborative Project: IIRS-SAC)
- Energy balance studies using Large Aperture Scintillometry (calibration & validation of remote sensing energy balance algorithm and surface energy balance of cropland) (Collaborative Project: IIRS-IARI)
- Tension Infiltrometer
- Double ring Infiltrometer
- EC Probe / Wet Sensor
- Theta Probe / moisture Probe
- Rain Gauge (HOBO Data Logger)
- Suspended Soil Analyzer
- Hand Penetrometer
Central Analytical Laboratory
- CHNS Analyzer
- TOC Analyzer
- Ion Chromatograph System
- Flame Photometer
- Gas chromatography System
- Auto Titrator
- Microwave Digestion System
Large Aperture Scintillometer
(Installed at IARI, New Delhi)